Taking into account its materiality assessment and feedback from internal and external stakeholders, Sanofi focuses its Sustainability approach on three pillars which are based on ethics and transparency in all that we do:
- Extending access to healthcare for the underserved
- Supporting our communities, including the community of our employees
- Preserving a healthy planet, ensuring that environmental protection is part of our decision-making processes.
Sanofi's globally adopted strategy and policies on sustainability constitute a guideline for its operations in Turkey as well. In parallel, the Sustainability Council established in 2011 guides Sanofi Turkey's Country Sustainability Strategy and efforts regarding material topics and priority stakeholders. Every year, Sanofi Turkey continues to integrate its sustainability efforts to the business practices of the company to create value added for the company and the community.
Corporate Citizenship Approach
Sanofi Turkey makes significant contributions to both national and local economies mainly through its local production, job creation, exports to 49 countries and R&D activities. While striving to foster its direct and indirect economic impact, Sanofi Turkey acts in line with the principles of responsibility for its products and services, responsibility to the environment and the society, and respect for human rights. To minimize its negative impact on the environment, the Company carries out environmental awareness activities for its employees and relevant stakeholders in addition to its activities to reduce energy and water consumption in its pharmaceuticals production in Lüleburgaz, and its environmental practices that go beyond legal regulations on waste management. The activities carried out for its employees and local suppliers, which are at the roots of Sanofi Turkey's social impact, are guided by the company's sustainability strategy as well as Sanofi's Codes of Ethical Conduct.
The necessary actions toward monitoring and evaluating the sustainability-related areas within Sanofi Turkey and setting goals were first taken in 2011. At the outset, the Sanofi Turkey Sustainability Council was established. Members of the Sanofi Turkey Country Council are also members of the Sustainability Council. The Company also has in place a Sustainability Committee to ensure the effective and coordinated execution of sustainability efforts across the board. As of 2018, there are 39 employees on the Sustainability Committee representing every department. The Committee convenes each year and with the help of sustainability consultants evaluates the activities carried out in line with annually defined targets. Sustainability efforts led by the Country Chair and coordinated by the Corporate Communications Department are reported each year to the Sustainability Council, who regularly reviews the areas for improvement.
Sustainability Material Topics
Identifying Material Topics
Sanofi Turkey used the AA1000SES methodology, an international stakeholder engagement standard and took Sanofi’s global strategy and priorities as its starting point, holding two workshops in 2016 with the Sustainability Committee to identify the company’s material topics in sustainability and key stakeholders.
Materiality is a key reporting principle as it determines the topics essential for the company to focus and report on. Materiality process determines relevant issues within the social, environmental and economical ecosystem of the company, which the company has an impact on.
In 2017, Sanofi conducted a two-step process to “refresh” its materiality analysis. We first established a list of approximately 30 topics based on our existing material issues and on feed-back from internal and external stakeholders*, then we established policies regarding the 13 material topics. Then we prioritized these topics taking into account:
- Their impacts for Sanofi’s activities as measured by the Sanofi risk management approach
- Their relative weights according to our internal and external stakeholders
- The legal and regulatory requirements
'Ethics and Transparency' are at the core of Sanofi Turkey's sustainability performance. In this respect, Sanofi Turkey's material issues are structured below the following headings:
'Ensuring Ethics and Transparency’,
'Improving Access to Health Care’,
'Engaging with Communities’,
'Fostering A Healthy Planet’
Integrity Principle in Sanofi Turkey’s Sustainability Approach
In its sustainability approach and management, Sanofi Turkey operates with a policy encompassing the entire lifecycle of all its operations in the region where it operates. The company monitors and manages its environmental impact, starting from Supply Chain Management and including risks for end users, with the same integrity principle.
Inclusivity Principle in Sanofi Turkey's Sustainability Approach
Sanofi Turkey has carried out materiality assessments by considering the social, environmental, economic and ethical impacts of all its operations across the value chain and inquired stakeholder expectations within its impact through the lifecycle of its operations.
Sanofi Turkey's key stakeholders determined in accordance with AA1000 standards are as follows.
Sanofi Turkey's Key Stakeholders
2. Labor union
5. Business partners
6. Patients, patient families, patient associations, nurses
7. Healthcare professionals
8. Sales channels (incl. Distributors and pharmacists)
10. Suppliers and supplier employees
11. Academia, scientific community and scientific societies
12. Government and regulators
13. Non-governmental organizations
14. Local community
15. Local administrations
16. Sanofi Global
Sanofi Turkey Stakeholder Dialogue Platforms
While carrying out its operations, Sanofi Turkey continuously and regularly develops dialogue platforms with all its stakeholders. Stakeholder opinions, which are of great importance in the development and management of business processes, guide our sustainability efforts. In this respect, we get together with each key stakeholder group in various platforms and inquire about their expectations of in social, environmental and economic fields.
In order to consolidate the presence of Turkey's leading pharmaceutical manufacturer Sanofi within its field of impact, and to increase its contribution to the community, the company maintains close and effective relations in particular with relevant government administrations and institutions as well as Non-Governmental Organizations listed below in establishing its position regarding applicable legislation, regulations and pertinent changes.
- The Association of Research-Based Pharmaceutical Companies (AIFD)
- Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Association of Turkey (IEIS)
- International Investors Association (YASED)
- Turkey France Trade Association
- İstanbul Exporters Union of Chemical Substances and Products (İKMİB)
- Istanbul Chamber of Commerce (ITO)
- Istanbul Chamber of Industry (ISO)
- Lüleburgaz Chamber of Industry and Commerce
- Health Products Association (SÜRDER)
- Union of Chambers and Commodity Exchanges of Turkey
- Biotechnology Assembly and Pharmaceutical Industry Assembly of the Union of Chambers and Commodity Exchanges of Turkey
- Dietary Supplements and Nutrition Association
- US Chamber of Commerce Turkey – US Business Council
The objective of these alliances is to anticipate the industry’s economic risks through active participation in the working groups of these institutions and to find collective solutions for the industry’s financial issues.
Government and Bureaucracy:
- Cumhurbaşkanlığı Ofisleri, Politika Kurulları ve bağlı Kurumları Presidential Offices, Policy Boards and Affiliated Institutions
- Ministry of Health*
- Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry
- Ministry of Industry and Technology
- Ministry of Labour, Social Services and Family
- Ministry of Trade
- Ministry of Treasury and Finance
- Turkish Medicines and Medical Devices Agency (TITCK)
- Turkish Directorate General of Public Health (THSGM)
- Turkish Public Hospitals Agency
- Social Security Institution (SGK)
- Health Institutes of Turkey (TÜSEB)
- The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK)
The Company also cooperates with Opinion Leaders, Academicians, Universities and Researchers.